Know Trade Names of Reactive Dyes In Brief!
Reactive dye is an important dye in our country for dyeing cellulosic fabrics. In this article, you will know the trade names of reactive dyes along with their application method and reactivity.
Popularity of reactive dye is increasing day by day because of its properties like high brilliancy of color, wide range of shades and overall a good color fastness property. Check more about Reactive dye.
If you are interested to know about it, stick with us.
Reasons for popularity of Reactive dye
· Good washing fastness (Rating 4-5)
· Very good light fastness (Rating 6)
· Lower cost.
· Simple dyeing method
· Good reproducibility.
· Low dyeing temp (below 100℃)
· Ability to produce bright shade
· Dye molecular composition
· Easily applicable to cellulosic fiber as well as protein
· All kinds of shade is found
Commercial names or trade names of Reactive dye
|Dye Trade Name||Reactive group|
|Procion MX (BASF)||DCT|
|Procion X (BASF)||MCT|
|Cibacron F (Ciba)||MFT|
|Levafix E (Dystar)||DCQ|
|Drimerene k (Clariant)||DFCP|
|Lavafix E-A (Dystar)||DFCP|
|Drimerene X (Clariant)||TCP|
|Kayacelon React (Nippon kayaku)||NT|
Wait! Don’t close your window over here. Let’s know some more about different commercial reactive dyes.
Dyes in an order of increasing reactivity
The type of chromophore and substituent that presents in reactive dye always affects the reactivity of reactive dye. The reactivities of any particular series of reactive dyes are spread over range. There is a considerable overlap exists between one series and another though different series possess different average reactivities. The average reactivities of various reactive dye sub-classes under appropriate fining conditions of pH, temperature and time may be ranked in order of increasing reactivity as follows:
- Primazin (acryloylamino, BASF)
- Drimarene (Clariant), Reactone (Geigy) (chloropyrimidine)
- Cibacron (MCT, Ciba)
- Procion H (MCT, ICI)
- Remazol (vinylsulphone, Hoechest)
- Cavalite (various, DuPont)
- Levafix E (dichloroquinoxaline, Bayer)
- Procion MX (ICI), Basilen M (DCT, BASF)
Let’s know the application method of different dyes. Here you go!
PROCION MX, Cold brand dyes
Application method: We’ll discuss two methods here.
- Pad-dry method:
- Prepare a liquor that contains x g/L dye, 10 g/L sodium bi-carbonate, generous amount of wetting agent, 0-200 g/L urea. Well, urea should be used only for heavy depth of shades of low solubility.
- Now, get the material and pad into the liquor at 20-25°C.
- Finally wash the material off to remove the unfixed dyes and let it dry.
Recently Econtrol process is developed. In this process, urea and other chemicals are not required. Yes! You heard right.
In this process, the relative humidity of dryer is maintained at a level of 25%. So, no need of the other chemicals and urea right here.
Just pad the material with PROCION MX dye along with sodium bi-carbonate. Afterwards, place it in a dryer in which humidity is maintained by steam-injection control device.
- Prepare a liquor containing x g/L dye, required amount of wetting agent, migration and reduction inhibitor. Then pad the fabric at 20-25°C.
- Drying procedure is carried out.
- The dried material needs further to be padded with a liquor. This liquor must contain 2 g/L caustic soda flakes and 200-300 g/L common salt.
- Then the fabric is steamed at 100-102°C for 30 seconds followed by washing.
Remazol, Vinylsulphone Dyes
- Pad-dry-bake method:
- Nothing different! Like the previous dye, mix x g/L dye, 8-30 g/L soda ash or 12-40 g/L sodium bi-carbonate (For 5-50 g/L dye respectively), required amount of wetting agent alto-gather and prepare a dye liquor, migration inhibitor and 15-80 g/L urea.
- Then dry the padded fabric and bake for the time and temperature mentioned below.
Temperature and time for Thermo-fixation of Remazol dyes
- Pad-dry-pad-steam method:
- The material is padded at 20-25°C in a liquor that contains x g/L dye, required amount of wetting agent, 10 g/L resist salt (mild oxidant), and 0-50 g/L urea.
- Then the material is let to be dried. The dried material is further padded with a liquor containing 200-300 g/L common salt and 5-20 g/L sodium bi-carbonate for the dye concentration of 10-50 g/L dye respectively.
- The padded material is then steamed at 100-102°C for 4-7 minutes followed by washing-off process.
PROCION H-E, Hot Brand dyes
- Firstly, a liquor is prepared containing x g/L dye, 20 g/L soda ash, required quantities of wetting agent, migration inhibitor and 200 g/L urea.
- Then the fabric is padded to the liquor at 20-25°C.
- Drying procedure is carried out for the padded materials and then baked for 1-3 minutes at 135-150°C followed by a washing-off process.
- The material is padded at 20-25°C in a liquor containing x g/L dye, required quantities of wetting agent, migration and reduction inhibitor and dried.
- Then a separate liquor has to be prepared with 200-300 g/L common salt and caustic soda flakes amounting one-third of the weight of dye, with a minimum of 10 g/L. The dried material is then further padded into this solution.
- Then the padded material is steamed at 100-102°C for 60-75 seconds followed by washing-off process.
Wrap It Up!
Reactive dye earns popularity day by day due to its high reproducibility, color brilliancy that it creates onto the cellulose materials.