- Completely impervious to water ( either liquid or vapor phase )
- A waterproof fabric is one that is coated or impregnated to form a continuous film or barrier to the passage of water by using rubber, PU, PVC.
- Example – Rain coat
- Water repellency is a characteristic of textile material that prevents the spreading of globule of water on the material surface. In this method, Hydrophobic materials are deposited on to the fabric but no continuous film is produced.
- Water repellent fabrics have open pores & are permeable to water vapor & air. The fabric permit passage of water when hydrostatic pressure is sufficiently high.
- It can be applied for apparel use